View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInAtl View Post
At risk of getting flamed...
If you want the best gain, avoid metals for the piping, or coat the metal. Metals hold heat more and cool more slowly, plastic actually stays closer to ambient temps and should generate equivalent velocity in the same size and shape/length. Have you ever noticed this on K&Ns site;
" there are two K&N Air Intakes to choose from. The 57-1529 gains 8.63 more HP @ 4688 RPM with a black non-metallic tube and the 77-1529KP has a 6.8 HP gain @ 4743 RPM with a polished aluminum tube."

I like to make fun of PVC intake pipes, but the principal is actually superior... Just remember its all about INSIDE diam.
If you do a pvc intake, scuff it good and paint it. If it has the size and the word PVC on it I will make fun of you...its a habit I cant seem to break.
Not, it is legitimate. But how long does that air stay in the tube? Long enough to be changing several degrees? And the IAT is compensating the timing all along. There has been a lot of testing done in regards to intake composition. Metal is not bad. The BFI is 16ga. and Powdercoated, you should have no worries.

And x2 on a PVC intake unfinished, lol.