Thread: Ugh-- "Wobling"
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998.5 Dodge 2500HD 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-valve Diesel I6 235hp 420lb/ft (manual), 215hp 420lb/ft(auto)
Rep:57
ArtNJr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead View Post
I did that to no avail. I did find out that I do have a clunking noise coming from the wheel so it maybe the wheel bearing. I will be checking it out sometime next week.
I don't know how much difference there is between your "light duty" '96 model & my "heavy duty" (8800 lb. gvw) '98 model, but I will tell you something I learned when changing front wheel bearings. When mine started "singing" on the left front I called the dealer real quick just to get an idea on wheel bearing price / availability & was told oh no, you can't buy just the bearings, the 4x4 front hubs are a "sealed" unit & you have to buy the whole thing -- for $850 !! Well, I might have been born @ night but it wasn't last night, just 4 bolts hold the hub assembly together & if you can bolt it together you can take it apart, so I took it apart.

Once I got the inner & outer bearings out & wiped 'em clean I called a Bearings, Inc. type place with the numbers stamped on the bearings to see if they had 'em -- yep, 3 of one which cost $13 in stock & 5 of the other which cost $15 in stock. Now I did have to buy a special impact socket for the king nut on the spindle & I also had to buy a big 3-jaw puller to take the assembly apart, but all-in-all I spent the better part of a day & around $100 to replace front wheel bearings -- instead of $850 per side for just the parts !!! Neither Dodge nor anybody else makes their own bearings, they use commonly available ones which a Bearings, Inc. type business should have all the time & don't cost very much, so don't let a dealer parts counter guy fool you with the "it's a sealed, non-serviceable unit" story !!