View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998.5 Dodge 2500HD 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-valve Diesel I6 235hp 420lb/ft (manual), 215hp 420lb/ft(auto)
Rep:57
ArtNJr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR15 View Post
i want to get a tuner for my truck, but there are so many different brands and types . . .
There is only ONE I would buy for a 1988.5 thru 2001 model & that's the "Blue Chip Wizard Fuel Management System" -

http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/fms_box.html

But save up $$$ first because if your VP-44 injector pump hasn't given you trouble yet it will -- that pump has a 100% failure rate. I recently got my 3rd & this time I got the top-of-the-line Freightliner upgrade (not available when the pump died before) & that's good for 22 HP & 2-3 more mpg by itself.

I explained in another thread what I learned about the VP-44 problem & it boils down to a faulty computer design & the fact that the Gov't. outlawed solder with lead in it -- the connections inside the computer cannot handle heat & vibration & it's not a matter of if the stock pump will fail it's just a matter of when. But the Frieghtliner "Sprinter" vans (also sold by Dodge & Mercedes) use the same VP-44 injector pump & when those vans started dying all over North America, evidently Freightliner gave Bosch an earful & they came out with an upgraded VP-44 for Frieghtliner to resolve the computer failures.

I do not believe you can get the upgraded pump from Dodge but you can get it from Blue Chip & there are probably others in the aftermarket who sell if too (no affiliation with Blue Chip, just a satisfied customer). The Freightliner version is calibrated for a 3.7L Mercedes V-6 diesel, not an ISB Cummins, but it can be reprogrammed & that's where the additional HP & fuel mileage comes from. So if I were you, I'd replace the injector pump first, then if you want to add the tuner, get Blue Chip's as it's designed to work with that particular pump & it will not void your new pump's warranty like other tuners will.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck @ Biltmore.jpg (101.6 KB, 1 views)