View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998.5 Dodge 2500HD 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-valve Diesel I6 235hp 420lb/ft (manual), 215hp 420lb/ft(auto)
Rep:57
ArtNJr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR15 View Post
from what ive seen, the same injector pump runs from 1400-1700 anyways. thanks for the info on the "heavy duty" injector pump that freightliner and the big trucks are using. kinda spendy to my budget. but something i can always save up for.
It's not a semi-truck pump, it's the same Bosch VP44 that the ISB Cummins comes with, but is also used on the Mercedes V-6 diesel in the "Sprinter" vans made by Frieghtliner, sold under their own name & also by Dodge & Mercedes -- FedEx & a number of companies bought a LOT of 'em.

They're longer/taller than the biggest American-made cargo vans, like an extended-body E-350 Ford & when they started breaking down all over North America is when Frieghtliner realized what the problem was -- same one 1998.5-2001 Dodge/Cummins owners have -- the computer part of the pump fails.

So the upgrade pump has the newer "heavy duty" computer that was designed to solve the Freightliner van injection pump failures, but VP44's always fail for the same reason, so what fixes Frieghtliner's problem also fixes Dodge/Cummins owners' problem. You can get a rebuilt version for $1850, but I went ahead & spent the extra $300 to get one with a new computer that has -0- heat cycles on it.