View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Ram Hemi
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:296
BlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHemi View Post
Curious,,,
I used to have an Airaid MXP CAI (with tube)

It was set up so you could run the OEM 'rubber' inlet tube directly to the Airaid box/filter, or run the (supplied with certain kits) Airaid tube.

Moral of that story was the inlet diameter of the Airaid tube was the same as the OEM tube.

The filter base was ~6~ or so inches around, but they choked it down to match the OEM tube inlet diameter.

Never thought much about it, other than they made it that way to enable folks who didn't want to spring for the Airaid tube to use the OEM tube.

Saw some pics of the S + B and I see its about the same scenario,,, the inlet of their pipe is small compared to the end attached to the TB. Once again, a large diameter filter base reduced down to a small diameter at the airbox,,,

Not saying it's right, not sayin it's wrong, but it's obvious more than one MFG of CAI's does this 'reduction', so there must be some reasoning behind it.

As the S/B kit already comes with a replacement tube,,,, the reasoning behind this reduced diameter cannot be 'just to enable the user to not have to purchase a tube'

So,,,, why do CAI manufactures use a filter with a ~6~ diameter base and immediatley choke the flow down at the inlet end of the tube only to increase the diameter again before it gets to the TB???

Not all CAI's are like that, but more than (1) is,,,

Also, is the inlet diameter of the S + B tube the same diameter as the inlet of the OEM tube?

FWIW, I think the S + B has a lot of things going for it, and its design / layout just 'seems to make sense'

TIA.
even BFI intakes are like that, HUGE filters and pipe then reduced to the TB to match up- if not then your TB will have to be 6+ inches to match with the intake tube. i think our TB's are 3 inches in dia. so no matter what, a bigger intake will have to be reduced
14" magnaflow with custom magna y-pipe, 8k heads and fogs, hella FF 500's, 5% tint all the way, 60" LED brake light, Smoked tails and 3rd, Ballistic Jesters in 275/55/20 zeon ltz, color matched handles/mirrors, painted calipers, L.E.D interior, debadged & Viper 5901, 180 t-stat