View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998.5 Dodge 2500HD 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-valve Diesel I6 235hp 420lb/ft (manual), 215hp 420lb/ft(auto)
Rep:57
ArtNJr will become famous soon enough

The lift pump is not a big/expensive problem but the Bosch VP44 injector pump most assuredly is -- it's not a matter of IF it will fail it's just a matter of WHEN. That pump came on all '98 1/2 thru '01 ISB (24-valve) Cummins. 1st one failed on my truck just past 36,000 miles but the dealer replaced it under warranty anyway. That replacement died a few years back & the replacement for it didn't last 7 months. Recently I had to "bite the bullet" & spend $2150 to get the new upgraded Frieghtliner Sprinter van version from Blue Chip Diesel in New Hampshire -- you can get a rebuilt for about 1/2 that, but you're right back where you started, with a pump you KNOW will fail again sooner or later. The computer part of it is what dies & the upgraded version was made to solve the same problems in Frieghtliner vans (Mercedes V-6 engine -- Blue Chip reprograms them for the ISB Cummins & you get 22 more HP + 2-3 more mpg.

Co. owner says their warranty return rate on the new design is 2% and all for the same reason -- the Gov't. outlawed lead in solder & after 100's & 100's of heat cycles (heating up/cooling down), the solder joints inside the computer start to break loose. Fuel going thru the pump keeps it cool & when you shut the engine off it gets hotter for about 20 minutes. Also, the turbo is still spinning when you shut it off so one way to make things last longer is to let the engine idle for a couple minutes before shutdown, especially if you've been running on the highway for a length of time. Cool the injection pump down & keep clean oil going to the turbo bearing & those parts will last a LOT longer.