Old 07-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Sagebrush Pearl/White Gold
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
BigE3 is on a distinguished road

That's a bummer your Nav isn't working well for you Spud. After reading this thread I did some testing on my 730n Nav and found that it was spot on with the Garmin in my Charger. True it is not as pretty and the POI selection is not as easy to use, but it does have some nice features that I found very helpful. One is you can enter trips and save them without even starting the navigation, I saved most of the trips that I normally take just sitting there in about 10 min. You can build a trip, even with multiple stops, save it and its there for you (you can name it whatever you like) next time you need it. Doing it this way also allows you to check out the Alternate Route to see if it is better for you than the "Faster" route (if that is set as your default). You might try to "build" a trip with stops along the way to see if you can get it to route you the way you want to go. I know this is not ideal and it should just route you the best way it can, but if the powers that be won't do anything for you, at least you will be able to effectively use your Nav while on a trip. This is also great to "build" a trip for sightseeing on roads that no Nav would route you on, like a coastal road or a mountain pass or to avoid going over roads that they would most likely route you on but you don't want to take. Another cool feature is the "Record Trail", in Map mode you just hit the "Record" button and it will record your route and you can save it. Why would you need this?, well even my Garmin gets it wrong a lot of the time...it will get you there, but not the best way possible, so if you know it is going to route you incorrectly you can record the best way, save it and it will be there for you to use again in the future. If you are like me, you always check the route before you head out on a trip anyway by using Mapquest or Google, so really the Nav, for me, is more like "flight following" (time estimation, traffic avoidance, and to make sure I'm paying attention and don't miss an exit or turn), so if I punch in the destination and it gives me a bad route, I wouldn't follow it anyway, so with the "record" I can log the route I want and use it next time. The way I see it the 730n is more like a device that a pro would use, it's stripped down but has some advanced functionality and the Garmin is something anyone can use, flashy, and simple but not as many options. If Garmin does have these features, I can't find them on mine (didn't spend a whole lot of time looking though). I also REALLY LIKE the Travel Link weather map...best thing ever down here in the southeast to avoid T-storms, or at the very least see where you might have a weather related slow down, and to see how long you will be in bad weather.

No Nav is 100%, my Garmin and Android Google Nav have been at odds for the past year (as long as I've owned the Charger), sometimes the Garmin gets it right, sometimes the Android, I would say the Android gets it right a little bit more often. At any rate, the navigation system is just a tool to help you along your route and should not be used as the SOLE authority on what route you should take, always plan your trip before hand.