Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2014-20?? 392ci (6.4L) Hemi V8 410hp 429lb/ft
Rep:12
sandawilliams is on a distinguished road
Default towing limitations

I have pulled about every type of trailer known to man to include semi's and heavy equipment trailers. Many of my friends pull large 5th wheels and we have debated over the years on how much over capacity they are. Most dont believe that many times you can actually pull more weight with a heavy duty 3/4 ton than a 1 ton pickup. This is usually due to the reduced tow rating of the 1 ton because of added weight of heavier components and duals.
Most of if not all 1 ton and 3/4 ton pickups I see pulling large 5th wheels down the road are indeed beyond their tow ratings. The answer the last few years is to go to the large aftermarket single axle semi tractors being custom made for these applications.
I too am guilty of pulling over my 1500 tow limit. I am over by about 800 lbs. once the trailer and truck are loaded for camping. Everywhere you look people are overloaded while towing but I try to keep it reasonable.
As far as rv dealers go most just want to sell rv's and will tell you anything to make the sale.
Personally I would not have a problem towing a little overloaded if my initial testing of the load showed adequate braking, acceleration, and handling.