Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Garnet and Gold
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Maelstrom1976 is on a distinguished road
Default 2005 Ram 1500 rack and pinion failure

Hello everyone,

My daughter has a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Daytona 2X4 (Keeping the Hemi in the family) and today wrecked it into a parked car.

She is ok, but what I don't get is how this happened. She is extremely careful of her "baby" and would never hot rod it, especially on the street we live on. There are too many kids running around and it is a very tight neighborhood.

This is the story; she was turning around (not a 3 point, just a u turn) and when she went to straighten the wheel, the truck acted like it didn't want to straighten up and pushed her into a parked car. When the truck made contact with the car, the front right wheel of the truck met with the left rear wheel of the car. The car she hit was a Grand Prix (rear wheel drive) so the axle didn't give way very easily, but the Ram's did. The wheel ripped off of the truck at the ball joints and did some damage to the truck and car when it bounced between the vehicles until she came to a stop.

I suspect that the tie rod pulled out of the rack and pinion, turning the front right wheel into the car. I have read a lot of forums about rack and pinion failures, but not this type of failure. We remain lucky that the insurance will cover all damages to both vehicles.

My question is: Is there a stronger OEM Rack and Pinion that I can have the body shop order to replace the stock OEM so this is NEVER a problem in the future?

I appreciate any and all input for this one.

Last edited by Maelstrom1976; 07-29-2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: upload a pic
Sponsored links