Old 07-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Sagebrush Pearl/White Gold
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
BigE3 is on a distinguished road

Did some more testing over the weekend on a short trip and found another nice feature, traffic alerts! Saw the little diamond on the screen tapped on the alert and it told me there was a slow down ahead. As it turned out there was a slow down exactly where the alert said it would be, just at the exit I was taking, but it warned me far enough ahead that I could have taken a detour if I wanted to (which it will do for you). I did find that the arrival time estimation was a bit off (had me arriving about 15 min. later than it should have), but oddly enough the drive time estimation was correct. The directions were perfect and the turn by turn voice pronounced the street names correctly and clearly (something the Garmin does not do well at all).
Some things I do miss from the Garmin, the 730n does not show the current posted speed limit, or your current speed. It also does not have a "picture" of the exit you are taking next. The map is more detailed so it makes it harder to see the route, and the map in general is smaller. It does give you a nice indication (voice prompt) of what is coming up with ample time to get yourself in the correct position without beating you over the head about your next move. Also, it seems the voice prompts are routed to the drivers speakers only so the passengers were not bothered with these. I like that it shows the next turn at the top of the map, it does not take up much space there and is very handy (Garmin has this too, but it is hard to tell when it is showing next turn and what you are on currently).
I like that I can load music on the built-in 30gb hard drive, but it takes from 15 - 30 min. to load a standard music CD so it would take quite some time to load up a good collection of music. Once loaded it is very easy to find a song, artist, album, or genre though it does take a couple of button presses to get there. The Gracenote music ID works great, labeled all the music I loaded correctly. I did not try to load music from a USB device so I don't know if it would be faster or not. The satellite radio has some nice features, for example it will show what artist or song is currently playing on your other presets, just hit the preset button 1 time to show your presets and the station, hit preset button again and it shows the artist, one more time and it shows the current song being played on the other presets. Also, if you pause the sat radio (like if you are going through a drive through), it will show what songs have been played while it was paused so you can skip the songs you don't like and play the ones you do until you get back to live. I do wish it had a "Mute" button, if I don't want my phone tethered to the unit and I take a call I have to turn it all the way down, pause it (if on sat), or turn it off, it would be nice to have a mute button and so simple to add, just wonder why they didn't.
All in all a very capable unit, though it is not as polished looking as some other units out there.