Old 08-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: 1500
Color: Green
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
mrjukebox160 is on a distinguished road

I found the problem! There is a 2 wire plug going in to the compressor. When I hook those wires directly to the battery the A/C Stays on and gets VERY cold. However, after the engine is hot, if you unhook it and than reconnect it, it does NOT come back on. I discovered that the clutch was TRYING to pull back in but couldn't. What I discovered was the distance from the clutch plate to the pulley was about 1/4". The manual says it should be no more that 1/8" max. It seems that when the clutch is cold it's DC resistance is lower which makes it stronger than when it is hot. This is why it works when cold but as soon as it's hot and starts cycling it couldn't pull back in. I wasn't about to try to disassemble an 18 Y/O clutch so I noticed a square plate that the clutch disc sits on when it's off. I used a screwdriver and hammer and tapped the corners in to hold the disc closer to the pulley when it's off. Works great! WARNING: This is NOT how you are so posed to adjust the clutch. If you try this and damage your compressor you have been warned.