View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 11:22 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al E. Gator View Post
My dealer quoted me $650 to change the plugs and clean the throttle body. $400 for the plugs an $250 for the throttle body. I told them they were nuts. Why are the throttle bodies needing to be cleaned? I've never had a problem with that on any of the other 20+ vehicles I've owned in the last 30 years.
Pretty sure you have had a dirty throttle body on ALL the vehicles you have owned in the past 30 years, but you may not have known it. Since the 1980's, all cars have had Positive Crankcase Ventilation systems, which takes excess fumes and gases and puts them back into the intake BEFORE the throttle body, which causes gunk buildup on it. Some cars run better with it cleaned every few thousand miles, some, it makes little/no difference. I found 15k is the sweet spot for my Ram, so I clean it every 15k.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...