Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 RCLB SLT 1500 Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:72
catsltd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
An aftermarket, over capacity aluminum transmission pan is a good investment. It will transfer heat away from the fluid faster(aluminum transfers heat faster than steel, and it is finned), and you get a few extra quarts which will keep it cooler.

I don't see how a 180 deg coolant tstat would cause reduced transmission temperatures.....but a 180 deg tstat is a good idea in general.

The temps you were running are fine, 225 deg is getting hot for the transmission but like chvyklr said if it's just a peak temp for short period it's fine. If it is sustaining 225 then I'd look to provide better cooling. The stock transmission cooler isn't huge but it is adequate and the stock electric fan will turn on if the transmission temperature gets too hot. Also, if you have the AC on then the electric fan is already running(pulling air through the cooler). This doesn't really matter on the highway but does when sitting idling(trans temps climb greatly when idling).

The gearing changes they suggested would help a lot as well.

How fast were you traveling? Many people try to tow at 70+mph which not only is not safe usually but is really hard on the vehicle. I'm not sure of your speed while towing but there's a huge difference between 65 and 75 or even 65mph and 70mph while towing.
I did a test and posted the difference running a 180 stat compared to a stock stat.
The numbers were crazy different.
Ill try and find it.
A cooler motor means reduced temperatures.
The IAT was over 20 degrees difference.
The oil temp was over 20 degrees difference.
The rest i cant remember,but its craxzy the difference.
A motor running at 220 degrees is going to produce a lot more radiant heat than the same motor at 185 degrees,Im sure you would agree.
The 180 stat is a great mod for towing.

Just do a evic on a hot day,right down all the numbers,and then change to a 180 stat,you dont need to take my word for it.
3:92 gears.