Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:41
CaptJon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Stripe View Post
The reality is they have written a "one size fits all" manual. But if you want to have fun, even better is the question....

If 6 months time is really as important as 8k miles, then why not put in the 2 lines of computer code to store the time/date stamp of the oil change? I mean.. you have to reset the computer when you change it so it knows the time/date. Thats one of the most common most basic structures of programming. Yet they program complex equations to monitor time/load/miles and 10 other variables to come up with a milage alert.

If you changed the oil fresh, and you have it sitting not running...lets say for sale.. do you need to change the oil after 6 months.

Just havin fun.
Excellent point on the time/date stamp. I was thinking more on the lines of giving the dealer an easy out on warranty issues with the time frame presented in the manual. I know the manual is not the end all but it does help them when it comes to court room antics with customers.
On my last truck I changed the oil once a year. Not sure what I'm going to do with this new one.