View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 07:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Fleet
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:47
Okiespaniels is on a distinguished road

Is the fan shutting down...or does the air stop coming out of the vents? My guess is the vents stop blowing but the fan runs.

There are no low pressure sensors, high speed turnoffs or that on your 2nd gen. I'm not even sure how O2 sensors figure in!

What you mot likely have is a phenomenon called "wild vents". This is caused by cracked or loose vacum hoses on your HVAC unit, damaged check valves, bad blend door motor or any combination thereoff. Usually it's the first two.

You may or may not experience a power loss from a vacum leak, but if you haven't noticed that, it's probably on the HVAC side of the vacum because there is a one way check valve on the vac distribution tree for the HVAC system. That tree is on the pass side up near the firewall. That's where I'd start. Then...start feeling around the HVAC unit near the top LH side close the the transmission hump. There's a couple of vacum actuators there. Sometimes the hoses get popped off or they break.

Google "Dodge Ram wild vents" and you'll get a bunch of helpful and more techinical bits.

Last edited by Okiespaniels; 08-14-2012 at 07:58 AM.