Old 08-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT sport
Color: red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
JeffreyCH is on a distinguished road

I didn't mean to come off as inpatient, in fact, waiting over 10 days and 100+ views with no answer seems anything but....My apologies if it seemed that way.

The thing is, finding a virtually rust free box around here is rare, and to find one that is the same color as my truck is just pure luck. The box is in a local salvage yard, and I can get it for 150 bucks(basically the price of scrap weight, so after the swap I can take my box in for scrap making this box pretty much free). Deals like that don't come around very often, so I need to jump on this before someone else snags it The only days I can get it is Wed.-Thurs. afternoon when the forklift operator has time to dig it out, then I have to take it off the donor truck myself. I work 3rd shift, so for me it's like getting up in the middle of the night to get this done.

Warlock, thank you very much for the answer to my question, I never would have thought of getting it home that way. However, I have a 16' flatbed trailer, I'm going to throw a couple 4x4 fence posts on the rails and strap it down. I'm kind of like you in that I'm just trying to make what I have as nice as I can. To me it makes more sense to pay cash for an older truck, and put the time and $$ into it to make it nice rather then a 500/month truck payment. If I put 500/month into this truck for 6 months I'll have a pretty much new truck instead of paying something off for 5 years watching it loose value and deteriorate before it's even paid for.

I picked my truck up for 1000 bucks, and so far I've put all new ball joints, front axle seals, a couple brake lines, all fluids/filters, serpentine belt, and replaced the radio(got super lucky on this too, found the premium sound infinity deck with eq for 20 bucks)