Vehicle: 2013Express,2014 Charger R/T
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:39
roo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNJr View Post
LOL !! Well, the reason I ordered a 2500 with every heavy-duty option Dodge made was to be able to carry or tow anything I'd ever need to & I got those concrete cylinders unexpectedly. I'd been getting 70-75 / day as the company that tests 'em puts 'em out & happened to meet a guy who was the crane operator @ a building going up in downtown Charlotte. He said they had a bunch of 'em up on a higher floor they wanted to get rid of & if I'd come by on Sunday he'd & lower 'em down with the crane. They weigh 30-35 lbs. each & the wood box just happened to be up there.

Tip for y'all -- every time you pour a concrete floor in a commercial building the concrete coming out of the truck is tested -- a guy in a van comes out with 6" diameter by 12" tall plastic sleeves & 6 of 'em are filled from concrete coming down the chute. They're taken back to the testing co. & put in a "moisture room" for 28 days for the concrete to cure, then the sleeves are removed & the cylinders are put in a hydraulic press -- if they don't break @ 4000 lbs. the concrete passes the test -- if they do break, you get to jackhammer the floor up & start all over again! But if that happens the concrete co. has to pay for it as they have to guarantee that what you get is 4000 lb. psi per building code. The cylinders that don't break have done their job & there's no more use for 'em so they put 'em out for anyone to haul off -- and I used them to build a shoreline on a lakefront lot -- they are "approved shoreline material" & better yet they're free!

Every day I was picking up 2100-2600 lbs. of 'em, all that were put out, but when the crane operator said come by on Sunday & get ours, I had no idea how many they had. They put about 120 of 'em in that big wood box & lowered it down into the back of my truck with the crane, then said there's more, so what you don't see in the photo are more of 'em stacked around the box inside the bed for a total of 174 & going by 30 lb. each, that's about 5200 lbs. -- it could have been more 'cause they can weigh 35 lbs. each!

But that was the point of getting the 2500 with every heavy-duty option there was INCLUDING the diesel engine -- so I could do things like that & not worry about the truck's ability to handle it -- I did take it easy on the way up to the lake, but you'll notice the rear bumper didn't go lower than the front! The truck's rated for about 3000 lbs. in the bed, but I already know it'll handle a lot more & I have never gotten the back end to sit down lower than the front!

Friend of mine riding in the truck the other day commented that the truck probably accelerates as fast loaded as it does empty & it does -- the diesel has so much torque that loads don't really affect it. I dove semis years ago & pretty much the same thing is true with them -- a heavy load will slow you down going up a long hill, but on flat ground it doesn't matter -- you can go as fast loaded as you can empty -- it just takes a lot longer to stop !!!

And I have done some stoplight-to-stoplight "drag racing" against gasoline engine trucks when both the other guy's truck & mine were pulling a construction trailer with a backhoe or something else heavy like that, or a travel trailer. No contest there -- the diesel just walks away from 'em -- Dodge, Ford, Chevy, Hemi, 460, V-10, any of 'em. The only thing that will outrun a diesel pickup with a heavy load is another diesel. And the worst fuel mileage I've gotten was 15.6.
Racing with a heavy load, about the dumbest thing you can do on the road!!!!!!!!!! Grow up dude!