Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: Graphite
Rep:10
FrostKing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh View Post
I have been running a pair mid-mounted for 2 years with zero problems.

Please elaborate on the lessons learned by others...
1. The turbos will create enough heat under the box to melt a bed-liner or bedrug.
2. Rear mounts will also be more laggy than an equal size front mount. This can be counter-acted by running a smaller turbine, which in turn creates huge back pressure at higher RPMs. Rear mounts will not be as capable of both high and low RPM performance.
3. Relying on a oil return pump is also a ticking time bomb. Even with the pump working perfectly there are situations where oil with get past the turbo seals and into the piping. i.e.. Parking on a moderate to large slope. The life of the turbo or engine relay on a small electrical motor and fuses that generally are never 100% water/corrosion proof.
4. Rear mounts also make a water cooled turbo very impractical and this is the only way to have a long lasting setup.
5. In below freezing weather, condensation will build up in the oil return lines and the crankcase will become contaminated with water in very little time. (I don't have a clue how this one happens, but myself and 2 others have experienced this)
6. Any crankcase pressure at all will stop flow from your scavenger pump and all the oil will go out the tailpipe. The same crankcase pressure on a front mount with have no effect.
7. The long oil supply line can be easily damaged or restricted ruining a good turbo. ($1800 in my case)
8. Rear mount setups have nothing for the viewing public.

I've run 3 different rear mounts on this truck, since 2006, and converted to a front mount last fall. I couldn't be happier.