08-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fort Dodge, IA
Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 0
adjusting tranny bands questions
OK - I've spent a lot of time searching with no luck, so I'm just going to ask...
1999 1500 Laramie w/5.2L w/110k miles
build date 5-99
1. How can I tell what Tranny I have? (46RE? Is there a site where we can input our VIN# and find out info. like this on the vehicle?)
2. What is the band adjustment procedure? (I found the procedure for 46RH and 42RE below, but not 46RE)
3. Where exactly is the front band adjustment at? Anyone have a picture, or a diagram I could reference??
The procedures for the 46RH are as follows:
Front band: 1 - Loosen the adjuster locknut. 2 - Tighten band adjusting screw to 72 in. lbs. 3 - Back adjuster 2.5 turns. 4 - Hold the adjuster in place and tighten the locknut.
Rear band: 1 - Remove pan. 2 - Loosen band adjusting screw locknut. 3 - tighten locknut to 72 in. lbs. 4 - Back off adjusting screw 2 turns. 5 - Hold adjuster in place and tighten locknut.
This is for the front band of the 42RE:
FRONT BAND ADJUSTMENT
The front (kickdown) band adjusting screw is located on the left side of the transmission case above the manual valve and throttle valve levers.
1. Raise vehicle.
2. Loosen band adjusting screw locknut Then back locknut off 3-5 turns. Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in case. Apply lubricant to screw threads if necessary.
3. Tighten band adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torque with Inch Pound Torque Wrench C-3380-A, a 3-in. extension and 5/16 socket. CAUTION: If Adapter C-3705 is needed to reach the adjusting screw , tighten the screw to only 5 N·m (47-50 in. lbs.) torque.
4. Back off front band adjusting screw 2-7/8 turns.
5. Hold adjuster screw in position and tighten locknut to 41 N·m (30 ft. lbs.) torque.
6. Lower vehicle
This is for the rear band of the 42RE:
REAR BAND ADJUSTMENT
The transmission oil pan must be removed for access to the rear band adjusting screw.
1. Raise vehicle.
2. Remove transmission oil pan and drain fluid.
3. Loosen band adjusting screw locknut 5-6 turns. Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in lever.
4. Tighten adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torque
5. Back off adjusting screw 2 turns.
6. Hold adjusting screw in place and tighten locknut to 34 N·m (25 ft. lbs.) torque.
7. Position new gasket on oil pan and install pan on transmission. Tighten pan bolts to 17 N·m (13 ft. lbs.) torque.
8. Lower vehicle and refill transmission with Mopar ATF Plus, Type 7176 fluid
Last edited by rsnyderjr2; 08-24-2012 at 03:57 PM.