Old 08-28-2012, 06:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: none
Trim Level: none
Color: na
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Cal2252 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, E85, race gas, and meth injection with a good tune can certainly change the game, but I didn't get into those. As the price of those cars is dropping, there should be a lot more of them out there that are built. The VIII's and the IX's have iron blocks and minus a few week links and maybe excessive mileage, it will be a regular thing to see 400hp Evos. X's are a little harder to get in that range reliably, but again, still pretty cheap to build.

I am not by any means touting the Evo as untouchable. It's absolutely not. I got beat by plenty of larger engine cars (mainly Mustangs with boost, which is what I want to get next and build from the ground up as a straight line racer) and even a few smaller engine cars with good race setups. I didn't race many trucks, a few turbo diesels but that was it. Never got to go against an SRT10.

And you're right, stock for stock, IX's are a little faster than X's, mainly due to mass. Mitsu really botched the release of the X in 08. It had a completely different engine and driveline, which got people really excited. It handled like a dream compared to the IX's which is why I got one. But it was much heavier due to safety regs with roughly the same power as the IXs. So while it was a little quicker around the track, in a straight line it was disappointingly slower (or should I say not faster) than its predecessor. Oh well... most people don't buy those cars to take to the drag strip.