View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

MPG UPDATE:

I've been HAND calculating MPG gains/losses since installing the S&B CAI in question.

Some backround:

The ONLY other current performance modifications I have on my truck is in my signature. One minor mod not listed there is I have re-piped the crimped OEM RHS bank exhaust pipe [from the manifold] under the transmission. I also run 89 octane Shell or Exxon ONLY at all times. I'm currently running Amsoil 5W20 Signature Series and Royal Purple oil filter, for those that may want to know.

I do have JBA Cat4ward headers & FastMan TB that have NOT been installed as yet.

My MDS is ALWAYS turned off [6th gear] in city driving and re-activated whenever I hit the interstates. I've gotten to doing this down-pat [though it was not that way for a while as I'd often forget] and never miss a beat. It's become habitual actually.

Here's my findings --

Total mileage covered during this evaluation was 3289 miles; stretching from Virginia to North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and New Jersey.

Vehicle currently sits at 8923 total miles traveled on the odometer.

If I had to give a percentage of city VS interstate driving during the evaluation, I would accurately guess it was right around 60/40 [towards city]. Driving habits were relative to my style. I'm not heavy footed by any stretch of the imagination[I leave the fun stuff for my Stang], BUT, from a standstill, I will put my foot down and open it up every so often [especially if it's a Ford or Toyota] and am not afraid to WOT it to overtake on the interstate should the need arise, and should it not. I tried my best to emulated [based on my assumption] the driving habits/conditions of the "average" Hemi driver/owner. I knoiw this is a very subjective thing, but I did my best.

The overall final figure is I saw a 1.34MPG fuel economy gain.

Now this is NOT as good as I've previously seen on S&B CAI's I've owned, but it is what it is. I'm certain different driving conditions/habits over the same distance travelled will yield different results..... even from one Hemi to another taking into consideration additional performance modifications added. Based on this mileage gain, sure it will take a liftetime [and then some] to re-pay for the CAI based on money saved at the pump, but it's still a damn nice intake in every way that's met all of my expectations.... and then some.

Thanks for reading and I hope you're enjoying yours as much as I'm enjoying mine.... S&B CAI, that is.

Grub out!