View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 11:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 RAM1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:260
CrazyCanuck is a jewel in the roughCrazyCanuck is a jewel in the roughCrazyCanuck is a jewel in the rough

I don't normally go for extended warranties, for most of the reasons already identified above.

However, about 11 years ago I bought a 1997 RAM, was just over 3 years old but it was a sales rep that owned it and had over 330,000km on it (figured out once that the guy had to average over 350km a day, 5 days a week for 3 years).

Anyway, the dealer I bought from typically included a 3-month 3rd-party (Lubrico) warranty on all used vehicles, and I negotiated to split the cost to extend it to 12 months (I think it cost something like $200).

A few months later, tranny starts slipping and engine light would come on regularly, turns out the tranny needed rebuild. Took it to the local shop (not same dealer) that handled Lubrico warranty, had it done in & out in about 3 days. I was out a couple hundred bucks for some things that the warranty didn't cover.

I wouldn't normally buy extended warranty but in this case it certainly saved me some serious cash.