Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM
Well, I'm still waiting for the part that's 'in the mail' and still haven't received a tracking number, so I realy am begining to wonder. If I call tomorrow I'll be asking for my money back and going else-where unless they have absolute proof that I will be receiving the part in the next few days. I'm fed up with this BS, and I have a VERY high patience and they've pushed it too far.
I would say you have been very understanding and I would be looking for a very sweet deal if you do decide to purchase from them in the future for what you have put up with.