Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:28
1970 Charger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
Well, if you have a compressor that is rated to run an spray gun (25+ Gal) and a clean garage wher you can spray with no worries it's fairly straight forward. Get a DA sander and sand the clear coat down with a high grit paper (800-1000 then 1500) clean it off really well then wipe with a electrostatic cloth, then apply the clear coat according to the manufacturer's recomendations. Oh, mask all other areas off around the spray areas so you don't get the overspray. sand down again with the 1500 using lots of water and you'll get a real smooth finish.

If there's any other guys on here that know more about this than me, please pipe in, but that's the best I can give you.
CdnoilRam is right, it has to be stripped. I used to own a body shop, if you strip off the clear, your going to mess up the color (the base coat). When the color is applied, it looks flat - no gloss at all. Your spray gun pressure and paint viscosity when mixed all affects the color. Even if you used the same spray gun but hooked it to another compressor or adjusted the pressure gauge on the present compressor, the color would slightly change. That is why body shops talk about blending color on a panel. If you have a 4 door car and there is a dent in the middle of the front door that needs to be fixed, chances are they will have to repaint the back door and the front fender. The front door with the dent will be painted first with the base coat, then the rear door and front fender are unmasked (they had to be previously prepped for paint before covering them up). The paint is then dusted over evenly over part of the rear door and front fender. The paint is then thinned out and the process repeated but going further along the door panel. Then this is repeated again. When the flash time is over for the base coat (Colored paint). The clear coat is ready to be applied to both doors and the front fender.

This is a normal refinish process given in a condensed version with many finish prep steps left out. Any sanding scratches, finger prints, etc will show up in the paint - it probably will be blotchy from the sanding. Also the paint probably won't stick long because the base coat was not reapplied.

And last but not least - better hope a neighbor does not call the EPA - painting a truck in a garage is a violation. And if some is smoking and walks in or a spark from the windings on the electric compressor motor when it starts up from the paint mist in the garage. We will have one less Z family member to talk with.

I hope this helps you out.