Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Sagebrush Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
DSKUP is on a distinguished road
Default pics: Katzkin Leather Seats in my 2012 Ram 1500 Crew

For those of you thinking about leather, I just got my truck back from the Katzkin installer. My truck interior is "dark slate/med. graystone." The colors I selected for the leather are black and slate. While I was in the shop stressing over the color selection, I very coincidently had the chance to see a 2012 Ram install in progress. That customer chose "dark graphite" and "putty" for his colors, and I didn't think it was quite right, just a bit too light (as is the factory cloth IMHO). Anyway, I was very pleased with the color match of my install. It ties in perfectly with the black trim/dash and the whatever-the-light-color is (graystone I guess). I also did contracting stitching in the slate color,with the Ram logo on the front head rests.

The quality of the leather is outstanding. It's heavier than I expected, as is stitching. It feels very nice to the touch, though you can feel the stiffness of it being right out of the box. I expect it will relax over time.

The install shows some wrinkles and creases, as I expected. I initially asked the installer about this when I ordered, and he put it this way (paraphrased): These leathers are initially flat. They are cut and assembled, then folded up and put in a box. When they're opened they have a certain amount of memory. They don't want to go on the seats. It requires a lot of effort to get them on. There will be some creases initially, which will relax over time. The leather will shrink when heated by the sun.

So we'll see how that goes. It definitly does not look as tight as factory leather right now, one hour from install. But I'll also say the photos don't do it justice. I'm very pleased so far.

The total price for me was $1400. It would have been cheaper with one color and no logo. But I liked the two-tone look of the cloth seats, so I was trying to approximate it- if not improve the colors.

Hope that helps anyone thinking about doing the same thing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1770.JPG (95.5 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1764.JPG (79.3 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1765.JPG (81.2 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1768.JPG (82.5 KB, 297 views)
Sponsored links