View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 11:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
If you're looking to tow then a cam and headers would help. I'd suggest smaller primary tube headers, not large primary tube headers as smaller tubes will promote better torque at lower rpms. You could do some headwork as well, probably wouldn't go larger on the valves as you might lose some low rpm torque, but some minor porting/polishing will give more torque at all rpms.
I must of missed the fact he is using this for towing, had a rough day today.

Well yes then I too agree, smaller tube headers would be good idea but I think by small would be no smaller than 1-5/8". But even so, the collector is truely what will determine where the torque is being placed but again not as direct and simple. I can say I did design a 318 that pushes about 468 ft-lbs at 2500 RPM and 360HP at I think it was 5000 RPM, but that same motor with a different intake manifold pushes 414 HP at 6000 RPM and 430 ft-lbs at 4500 RPM. so the intake is equally as important. But yes I agree with you smaller headers, thanks for catching me on that. Wouldn't want someone to buy the wrong thing.

Personally I think the V10 puts out decent torque, especially for it's age etc... It could certainly put out alot more torque but I wouldn't even know where to start mainly because I'm unfamiliar with the full blown specs, like if the V10 is much like the V8's then the quench is horrible and we would know well I would know the V10 probably detonates like crazy under high load but that's just an assumption.