Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
Dave101 is on a distinguished road
Default Back Up Camera wiring help

Hi.

I am the proud new owner of a 2012 Ram 1500 that I purchased last week. I am going to have lots of questions on different modifications I'm planning but my first involves installing a back up camera.

My truck has U Connect Bluetooth through the radio. I'm happy to say it works great. I purchased a wireless back up camera. I was going to get a monitor that clips over the rear view mirror but I was afraid would lose functionality with the microphone so I purchased a normal monitor.

My question is about connecting the camera to the reverse lights. So:

Am I doing this on the drivers side or the passenger side?

Does anyone have a simple way that I can identify the reverse light wire? I know I can use a light probe but honestly it seems complicated.

Once I identify the wire, the kit comes with a clip which I believe I simply insert the wire from the camera and clip it to the reverse wire. Is it really that simple?

Where shoud I be grounding the ground to? When someone says the frame what do they mean - how?

Lastly for now, I purchased an LED light bar that plugs into the trailer harness. It works well. There is a white wire to splice to the reverse light. Can I merely use a similar clip on a different part of the reverse wire that I used for the camera or will this mess things up? If not, how do I attach it?

Thank you in advance.

D...
Sponsored links