View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 02:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2657
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I know that the Air Force is different from the other branches of military
In the Army, Marines, & Navy, they tell you all kinds of BS
They tell you that you can do whatever field that you choose
I wanted to be an AIRDALE, which means dealing with aircraft
I really wanted to be a plane mechanic
They needed people to push bombs around & assemble them
so i work with mechanical stuff that was strapped to planes
So much for doing what you want to do in the military

What you need to do, is to decide what you want to do AFTER you get out of the military, whether you plan to spend 4 years or 20.
Do you want to fly planes ? reciprocating or jet engine? stay in college a while longer & take courses that will help you get a pilots license, go to flight training courses at your local airport
Maybe join the Air Force Reserve, continue with college & go to flight training courses, get paid while you learn

If you plan on a different field, again you could join the Reserves, you could again continue with college, or get a job with the goal in mind for what you believe that you want to do

No matter which route you choose, your reserve time counts towards your military time, you can go Active Duty when you want to. You can go to the Air Force recruiter & ask them questions & you don't have to commit yourself one way or the other
If your Dad or Uncle was in the military, ask them to go with you to talk to the recruiter
Remember one thing, until you sign the Official paperwork & raise your right hand, you are not committed to do anything, once you raise your right hand & swear to serve your country, you can't just walk out the door, the Military owns you, you are bound by the UCMJ or whatever they call it now

I went into the NAVY & for the most part, i enjoyed it, except all i saw was the aircraft carrier that i was assigned to, once in a while we were in a Port for a couple weeks & then back out to sea for several months. My job skills are bombs, missiles, rockets, aircraft guns & ammo, & fire bombs ( Napalm ), not a lot of demand for those skills in civilian life

My Cousin went into the AIR FORCE & most of the time he was in Special Services, mowing golf courses, maintaining swimming pools, etc. He was in quite a few places in the USA, then he went to Germany & Korea
He went off base every night & enjoyed the town
After the Air Force he went into Computer Sciences & does well in life

Choose your goal in life & school yourself towards that goal

Good Luck

PS.
Military service also allows you to use the G.I. Bill
loans, college, points on tests to apply for a government job, etc.
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 09-27-2012 at 02:53 AM.