View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:367
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

I just did my 2004 hemi. I think the older third gen hemi and the newer third gen hemi may be very slightly different but I'm not sure. Are the plugs oriented side by side, two to each cylinder? That's how mine are. Yes, it can certainly be done without removing the booster. I did it with no real special tools. Rather than cutting holes in the inner fender liner you could just remove it if you think it will help. I was told to remove mine and did (it's easy) but actually ended up getting to all of them from the top. It will take a few hours, some sore ribs from laying on the radiator support, some skinned knuckles, and a curse word or two but it's really not difficult.

As for the plugs, I would buy OEM or NGK and nothing else. These trucks are pretty picky about the plugs and they like OEM. You should be able to get OEM at your local parts place. Also, just a thought for you....I know lot's of folks just hand tighten and that may be just fine but be aware that Dodge says these engines have a "torque critical spark plug design" and that the plugs cannot be overtorqued. This is good advice for any aluminum headed engine anyway. Dodge says torque to 14 ft-lbs and no more than 15. I used anti-seize and torqued to 13.5. A small torque wrench that does inch-pounds works best and will be most accurate if you can get your hands on one.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.