Old 09-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: '11 1500 sport 4x4
Trim Level: sport 4x4
Color: mineral grey
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:13
hoyter is on a distinguished road

I installed the steps last weekend and so far have mixed feelings on them.

I don't think they stick out far enough from the body for my taste. I love the look of them hugging the rocker panels, but it is difficult to get much of my size 12 shoe on them to get in/out without hitting the rocker panel. Wearing sneakers, I have a habit of nailing my ankle into the truck which is not fun. If I pay attention I can get the tips of my toes on the boards when I jump in. This is not a problem for my mom who loved the steps. Her 5'4" self was glad for the assistance getting in when heading out for dinner.

As for the install, under the truck for a quad cab, there are 3 factory mounting spots for the OEM boards. These have the oval hole at the top with two small screw holes below. These are the spots that HooserHemi used when installing his in the original post. There are several more oval spots but they do not have the screw holes underneath. These additional spots are to be used/chosen for the 4th bracket they provide.

I decided to mount the fourth bracket in the center under the drivers side to stretch out the stress on the mounts. I installed the brackets like HooserHemi with the metal rod polking down into the screw hole for the factory locations and through a drain hole on the 4th location.

In mounting the passenger side, I realized that I had been installing them incorrectly, or the hard way. The guide wire was not to stick out through the screw hole, but rather was supposed to be bent out of the oval to align the bracket. I installed the entire passenger side this way and have photos below. Doing it this way lessened some of the language and busted knuckles that plagued the drivers side install.

Overall quality is not great. The hangers could be a bit thicker and the powder coating could have been better, but these are the trade offs for the great price (Ebay $102 +$39 shipping- cheaper than their website.)

Thanks again HooserHemi for the post and great pictures. Also thanks to snrusnak for answering some questions and providing the push for the steps.

Shot of the passenger side rear 3 locations. The two brackets in the center are next to each other to spread the weight.

Note how the wire is bent back out of the oval.

Better shot of the 4 bracket locations

Finished up

Last edited by hoyter; 09-30-2012 at 08:03 PM.