View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
theman440 is on a distinguished road
Default Please help Guys - I'm at my wits end

I have a '00 2500 2wd Quad Cab, it's got 130K miles on it. I started noticing this about 10K miles previous. In the range between 42-50 (worst at 45) miles per hour the whole truck shimmys badly. If you look in the side mirror you can see the bed shaking up and down. It's smooth below 42mph and above 50 and comes back at around 60 but not as violent. It shakes the whole truck not just the steering wheel, or the seat. I originally blamed the shitty Big-O tires I bought for it, fought with them for too long and gave up. They balanced 5-6 times, replaced 2 tires never once admitting to "noticing" the problem (when you need 20oz's of weight to balance a tire it's garbage) I did the front brakes and had the rotors machined (cross fingers) nope, still there! I checked shocks, (fronts replaced a couple years back) OK, pitman arm OK, Idler arm OK, Tie rod ends OK. I ended up putting a different set of tires on the truck and guess what, still there! I brainstormed with my pal and we checked the ball joints - bad. I went ahead and replaced all ball joints and all tie rods (what a pain in the azz that is) all bushings good, re-check idler and pitman. At the same time I did the rear brakes, machined the drums of course. Guess what...the shimmy is still there. Like I said I'm about at my wit's end with this. I've always loved this truck and never had any issues untill I put those crappy Big-O tires on it. The truck is completely stock, not lifted, stock aluminum wheels, stock tire size, never been wrecked, never bashed a curb with a tire ETC. This is insane - to me it feels like a bad tire but when you completely swap out tires and it's still present where else do you look?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys.
Sponsored links