View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 08:29 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of
Default '83 Pontiac "Recaro" Trans-Am restoration

With a 305/quadrajet and a borg warner 5 speed. Of the 1500 of these cars made, there are only 500 known to exist today. My buddy has one of them. We are rebuilding the engine right now.

^reason why we went with a rebuild. Every seal on this bitch was pissing. It was dropping a quart of oil every 20-30 minutes. It would blow blue smoke on start-up which also told me it needed headwork. So we decided to take $300 and do a DIY rebuild. I have been doing this for years, so nothing to it for me. I told him for beer I would donate my labor hours. I am at a 24 pack a day. We are on day 3.

^Colby (my friend) and his "oh-shit-what-did-we-get-ourselves-into" face. Chill out Colby. I got this brother.

^Motor's out and we are about ready to begin pressure washing/degreasing. what an ungodly horrible mess.

Degreased (for the most part) and pulled the oil pan (yesterday) Not bad. Mains all look good but we are replacing rod bearings and main bearings anyway.

^Cylinder's look good, no scoring, pistons are carboned up but otherwise ok. This is a budget rebuild so we are going cheap and just cleaning the pistons up a little. No hot-tank here. Pistons out, clean-em up, new rings, bearings and torque the caps and mains down.

^New front and rear main seals, and new timing chain. Taken after the fiasco you will read about below.

^Got to this point... got the oil pan put on, timing chain put on, timing chain cover installed, harmonic balancer put back on, and... fack. The timing mark on the harmonic balancer doesn't align with the marks on the timing cover. Fan fuggin' tastic.

Pull it back apart, break ANOTHER (3rd) oil pan gasket, only to find its a good thing we did, we were 6 degrees off TDC. The engine would have never started at best, at worst it would have bent a valve. Timing reset, found a brittle seal for the crank on the timing cover (thought we got all those!) so ordered that and will reassemble tomorrow. But heads are on, valve lash is eliminated and the timing is right. Every gasket is new, so we should be good to finish up the rebuild and re-install the motor tomorrow. The most time consuming part (the head rebuild) is done. All-in all, a productive day.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 10-06-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Sponsored links