View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatboy View Post
FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK BACK!!! Having only driving it a few weeks and having it gone for, what? 2 months, I was being to forget why I was bothering waiting and not just forcing them to take it back... I love this truck Not a rattle or a shake or a squeak. Engine runs so smooth you cant feel or hear it. Suspension is tight but not to much. Doesnt have any foo foo in side so no electronics are messed up... It acts like a brand new pick up... now I remember why I fought to keep it Trans seems to work flawlessly so far and shifts smooth as glass. But will keep a very very close eye on it. First off, she needs a bath and some new fluids. Full synthetic and a 15,000 mile oil filter after that. Then Ill start putting my upgrade list together. Lacking in both HP and MPG. If I can get another 35 hp and 5 mpg outta her, Ill be a happy clam

Good for you, glad to hear the truck rides nicely.

As far as the 35+HP and 5MPG, I can help with those. I can first tell you it's much easier to make HP then it is to make more MPG, and it isn't because of weight do our trucks suffer in terms of economics but aerodynamics is what ultimately kills.

Anyways getting 35 more HP and getting 5 more MPG at the same time is going to cost you alot of money. But I can tell you how to get more HP without giving up a whole lot of MPGs.

You need a few things to get your extra 35HP.
1. Mopar Performance ECM
2. Comp Cams 20-604-9
3. Long tube headers, I recommend you get small tubes no larger than 1-5/8
4. New lifters and pushrods

Now to get the extra 35 HP or more with 5 more MPG's it's going to cost you thousands.

You have to be careful with these engines because they have horrible problem with detonation and ping, the ping because of the carbon buildup due to a having little squish (large quench distance) and detonation for the same reason. The ping is brought about by the excessive carbon build up due to the squish, the carbon causes a hot spot and then you get PING. The detonation occurs for numerous reasons with these engines according to my research I have been doing lately. More specifically they also have poor lift, a minimum of .5" is good lift for these engines and that comp cams gives you .512", The 318 and 360 are great engines lots of potential, just need cash to get everything out of it.

Anyways glad to hear things are all resolved.