View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Eater View Post
What is this Hemi Hat and where is it? What does it look like? I have a CAI so does that mean mine is gone? Please help!

The Hemi Hat, as it is informally referred to as, is the plastic box on the top of the engine. You can see it here. The stock intake system utilizes this. The best way to describe it is this:

Air comes from outside, into the filter element, into the Hemi-Hat before entering the throttle body. That Hemi Hat allows the air to enter and "swirl" in that hat and then enter the Throttle Body. In the Hemi Hat, there are chambers where air enters and comes out of. This is referred to as the 'silencer' portion. The EGR tick you may hear is eliminated in here as well, but the airflow is massively impeded in this stage.

Here it is on the engine.

From the side.

Inside, where it is turbulent. This is from a 4.7 The 5.7 hat is the same, except there are chambers for air to enter.

This view is what it looks like with no hat.

On a hemi [click the link. Image is big and I dont want this page to be slow to load]
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...t/IMG_0252.jpg