View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500 Hemi 2WD
Color: black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
urbex is on a distinguished road
Default broken axle in collision, parts or whole axle replace?

2005 Ram 1500, hemi, 2WD, auto trans.

Got into an accident over the weekend, slid into the curb hard enough to break the axle on the passenger side. The axle shaft itself broke, along with the backing plate/caliper mount (at least it appears to be both the plate and mount..I'm not real familiar with these axles, and I haven't yet pulled the other side apart to compare). It looks like the caliper mount is bolted to the flange on the axle a few inches in from the end, rather than on the very end of the axle tube like I'm used to, so maybe I'll have gotten lucky (in a manner of speaking, lol).

I attached a few pictures of the carnage, and wondering if I can replace just the caliper mount and axle shaft, or if there is something else broken off the end of the housing as well, which means I'll likely need to get an entire axle. Part of my concern here (other than the cost), is that the Dodge is the only vehicle I've got capable of transporting an entire axle assembly, but it would be no problem stuffing an axle shaft into the car.

Sponsored links