View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500 Hemi 2WD
Color: black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
urbex is on a distinguished road

This is just one of those wild things to me, especially considering it really didn't feel like I hit the curb all that hard. Didn't even realize I did it at first...just noticed that I wasn't moving forward...thought maybe the trans broke. THen I realized I wasn't sitting all that level anymore, lol. Sadly I do have other experience in smacking curbs from playing around in my younger years, and I've hit them hard enough that I stopped and nearly fell out of the car because my body got rattled so much in the impact, and still didn't see damage like this before. It's almost as if I had an axle shaft that was weak to begin with, and all the planets lined up just right, lol.

Anyways, more pictures -

Obviously the seal is mangled pretty badly, and yes, I do need to crack the diff cover and look at all that stuff closely (perhaps time for a locker upgrade! ), but the axle tube itself looks like it's almost completely unscathed through this except for that bit of a gouge near the 5 o'clock position which looks like a couple taps with a grinder will take care of that.

I was going to work on getting the rest of the shaft out of the housing tomorrow if I get home from work early enough, and check out the rest of the housing.