Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
eriemariner is on a distinguished road
Default 2010 Ram 1500 OEM brake controller

I installed a OEM brake controller from MOPAR on the subject truck with the trailer tow package. At the time the OEM controller came only on the 2500. I had the dealer put in the controller sales code so that the controller showed up on the EVIC. I pulled a trailer this year in April over 2000 miles and it worked great. In September 2012 the first day 200 miles out on a 4500 mile trip it failed. The chimes would go off and my trailer brakes were intermittent. At first I thought it was a connection problem. I checked out the wiring on the trailer and the truck connection. I couldn't find a problem. I took the tuck to a local dealer and they told me the controller was bad and I had to wait a day to get a new controller in. They installed a new controller. I then went back to the campground and hooked up my trailer and had the same problem. In frustration I spent $250.00 to have an after market controller installed at a local RV dealer.
I drove another 4300 miles with out a problem on the after market controller. I had to reset the "Check the trailer brake system" fault in the EVIC each time I started the truck. I went back to my home dealer for an oil change and had them remove the sales code from my engine controller. Now I don't have to reset the fault. I am happy with the new after market controller and I have the old trim bezel to install once I pull out the OEM controller. I would appreciate any feed back from anyone that has had a similar problem. I would like to find the root cause.

Thank You
Sponsored links