Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White and gray
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
mrau92me is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
The rear band adjustment is done internally so you need to remove the fluid pan, the front band adjustment is done externally. The front band adjuster is located behind the shift linkage that would be on the driver side of the vehicle.

To do a band adjustment for the front, just loosen the locknut then tighten the band adjuster with the torque wrench until you hit 72 inchs lbs, then turn the adjuster counter clockwise 3 turns and then tighten the locknut, you should torque the locknut to 25-30 ft-lbs.

The rear band is the same procedure except you want to backoff the adjuster only 2 turns.
Thanks for the info, ramvan. I'll try adjusting the front band first. Note: I had the transmission fluid changed by a shop but it didn't help.
My apology to everyone for posting and then disappearing, but I thought I subscribed to this thread, in addition to my other vehicles developing more-urgent issues (daughter's Passat water pump went belly up).

I'll also add that the previous owners (friends of mine) had the transmission rebuilt in '07 at 105k miles and really only drove it after that point to occasionally tow their ski boat a few miles during the summers. I bought it cheap coupla months ago with 117k on the clock after their crazy dog chewed up the transmission wire harness trying to get a cat (I don't think the dog could have done any damage to cause the slipping). $20 and some soldering later, I fired it up. They said there were no issues prior to that, other than the fuel gauge . My theory is that they didn't know it was slipping after they got it rebuilt because they were moving it just a few feet and letting it idle (warming it up) as they hooked their boat up.