Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:13
Synthetickiller is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantman View Post
Hello Synthetickiller. Well I noticed you listed a wheel size of 16" in your post. So to clarify, your 3/4 ton Hemi should have come with a 265/70-17 OE size. Or if you have a Powerwagon, they have been known to install a 285/70-17. And I believe your stock wheel is a 17x 8.5". Here is one recommendation that my Pops has always used on his 1999 2500 Cummins, in some really thick snow in Washington state and still swears by them. Try the Michelin LTX M/S 2 in a LT285/70-17 for size. It should fit your truck perfectly well and it is a "D" load range tire. This tire will fit on a 7-8.5" wide wheel too by the way. Good luck man.
I brought up that specific model since I don't really mind swapping rims. I'm not a fan of the stock ones anyways.

It's interesting you brought up the snow topic. Tirerack made a note about these tires:

Quote:
The LTX M/S2 Highway All-Season tire is NOT a dedicated winter / snow tire. It does NOT meet the severe snow traction requirements and is NOT branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol
That concerns me a tiny bit. I'll be doing a little mountain driving and it can snow heavily up there. I won't be doing it often, but it's worth putting into the equation.

I'm going to have to think about it. After going through 2 sets of BFGs (first pair lasted almost 90K miles) and I sold the truck w/ the 2nd pair only having 40K miles w/ barely any ware on them, I'm having a hard time convincing myself to move away from them.

Thanks for the info though. I'll read about the tires and see what others have said.

Edit: Hypothetically speaking, if I go w/ the BFGs, which size is probably the most appropriate for a 17" rim? I'm a little confused still. I don't mind getting a wider rim so long as it doesn't rub the control arm.

Last edited by Synthetickiller; 10-18-2012 at 06:17 PM.