Old 10-21-2012, 12:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '14 Ram1500 BigHornEcodiesel
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:11
DieselD is on a distinguished road
Default 2013 1500 diesel vs used 2500. First Ram and so stoked!

So I am looking for my first pickup and I want a diesel, personal preference.
My only reservations against getting a Dodge vs a Chevy is that I've read about rust issues with the body as well as needing a new transmission sooner. Of course I realize this is a Dodge forum and expect bias therein. But any truth there?

I've been considering buying a late model 2500 w/ Cummins diesel. I dont think I want to swing upwards of 50K on a new one.

So I went to the dealership this weekend and test rode the 2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn. OMG, such a great thrill.

Then I started talking to the dealer about how I wished they'd put a diesel in the 1500 and how I've read about rumors online. I loved that I saw with the new 2013, specifically the grill shutters and the air suspension. Come to think of it, what is the Checy competition to the Ram 1500?

Then he dropped the bomb... and he said that it in the coming year, its going to happen. This is me reacting This is me

But, the 1500's diesel will likely be the smaller non-cummins one called the "VM." I am sort of bummed to hear that.

So a few questions:

1. Are there issues with Ram and rust?

2. What sort of transmissions issues could I expect at 5 or 10 years out? My understanding is that while the Cummins Diesel engine is quite reliable, the transmission used is less reliable.

3. Looks like either a used 2500 or a new 1500. But how reliable is that VM engine?

4. Lastly, the impression I get is that a Ram 2500 Crew gets maybe 15 mpg while the current 1500 Hemi does better. Is that accurate?

If a diesel is put into the 1500, what should be expected in MPG vs a Hemi in the 1500? Should be better in the diesel, right?

5. Also, in speaking with the salesperson, I was asking what the differences were b/w 1500 and 2500. HE remarked about things such as the 1500 suspension being coil-like on a locomotive vs leaf springs on the 2500. Does coil suspension made it ride smoother?

Here is what I've read: Rumors of a Ram diesel have been around for a while, and Allpar was told two years ago that there was definitely work on a Cummins V6 in the Ram 1500 (a V6, not the straight-six Ram currently uses in the 2500 and up). We believe however that the Ram 1500 diesel, which is likely to be coming soon, will use the VM 3.0 instead

and

http://blogs.*******************/677...500-spy-photo/

How reliable is that VM engine?

I don't know how reliable either is above, but look forward to impressions.

Please advise as I am SO STOKED to buy my first Ram diesel!!!

A very excited DieselD!
Sponsored links