View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrau92me View Post
Glad you asked cuz I got my Haynes manual out yesterday to help me locate the front band adjustment bolt, and I'm quite certain I found it.

I had my torque wrench ready, but it appears that the front band adjustment bolt is a stud with an 8-mm square end on it. So, before I loosened the jam nut, without any luck, I tried to fit a few hex sockets onto the square stud end to see if they'd bite enough so I'd be able to use my torque wrench to torque it to 72 in-lb (like you said). I don't think they make 8 pt sockets any more, so what kind of socket am I supposed to use with my torque wrench to achieve torque before turning it back 3X (btw-Haynes says 2-7/8 turns but probly doesn't matter much). Is there something I'm not seeing here, such as a nut underneath the jam/lock nut? Thanks
You need to use a 5/16", 8 or 12 point socket. I personally will be changing out my adjuster to the latest one which is a allen type socket.

To do the adjustment you have to loosen that 3/4" nut that is threaded onto the adjuster. You loosen that and then you can use that 5/16" socket and do the adjustment (tighten 72 in-lbs) then, 2-7/8 turns back or 3 is fine, I always do 3 because when I go to tighten the lock nut the adjuster moves with the nut so it ends up being 2-7/8 at the end. Then tighten the adjuster lock nut. The adjuster locking nut should be torqued to 25 ft-lbs.

I think it was stupid to make a square end adjuster but, Chrysler...

If you have a hard time finding the 8 or 12 point socket, the Autozone should have one if not autozone try Ace and lastly Sears.