Old 10-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 98 Dodge Ram standard cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Blue
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Towermonster is on a distinguished road
Default Body clean up project (Opinions wanted )

I just became the proud owner of a 98 Ram. The price was right, but unfortunately for me the one big flaw was the typical Ram rust. Not completely unexpected, I grew up in the northeast I'm used to that, but now I am looking at 3 options to make my rig look nicer.

1) Sanding down the rust spots on the rocker panels and rear wheel wells filling with bondo, and slapping some diamond plate over the cancer spot. Running it from the front bumper all around the tail gate.

2) Still using the diamond plate but only on the rocker panels, slapping on fender flares to cover the offensive crap on the fenders.

3) Using fender flares, but trying to find replacement doors from down south somewhere.

I was talking to a buddy about the diamond plate idea, and sealing the top and side of the plate "patch" with silicone to stop any moisture from getting down in there. He made mention that I may still get crap up and in from the underside. I want to leave the underside open to drain out anything that gets trapped in there. I am hoping for someone who has the tried anything I am thinking of, how much work was involved and how well did it work. Thanks