View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

99% of the time there is no issue with using a 180 deg F tstat. The only possible issue would be if the engine ends up running cool enough that it runs in open loop warm up mode, it would run a little rich and slightly less mpg/performance. This usually doesn't happen with a 180 tstat though. Usually you have to get to ~160 tstat for this to happen. I'd definitely do it(I have on in my truck). It won't do anything drastic, but will give slightly better performance/mpg and slightly better cooling and slightly more longevity to your engine. It will also slightly decrease heat output from your heater. If you are in alaska it may not be the mod for you...but usually it's worthwhile.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.