View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:221
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

As far as rust goes, it seems like in my area, they all rust, Dodge seems no worse or better than Ford or GM.

I recently bought a 2004 Dodge 2500 with a 5.9 Cummins. There is a big difference between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton. Everything is bigger, suspension parts, springs, axles etc. I would also say if the truck is left stock, the transmission will last a lot longer than if you add a chip and bump up the horsepower. I'd say the transmission in the newer 3/4 tons are as good as anything except the Allison in the GM's.

As far as fuel mileage, my truck has 4.10 gears, so its meant for pulling not highway fuel mileage. I get between 14 and 15 mpg running around town, and between 17 and 18 mpg on the highway. The half tons I've had got around 12 mpg around town and about the same on the highway, 17 mpg. I had a 2007 1500 with a hemi, and I did get 20 mpg once, but that wasn't common, 17 was more normal on the highway.

How reliable will the new engine be? Check back in about 10 years. I'll believe the 1/2 ton diesels will be made when I see them on the dealer lots. It will probably happen, but who knows.

Do you need a diesel? I got one because I wanted one, not because I needed it. I do tow and haul a heavy load on occasion, but I could have got by with a 1/2 ton, but I've wanted a Cummins since they came out in the late 1980's. So far I've been happy with it.