Vehicle: '14 Ram1500 BigHornEcodiesel
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:11
DieselD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge man View Post
I recently bought a 2004 Dodge 2500 with a 5.9 Cummins. There is a big difference between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton. Everything is bigger, suspension parts, springs, axles etc. I would also say if the truck is left stock, the transmission will last a lot longer than if you add a chip and bump up the horsepower. I'd say the transmission in the newer 3/4 tons are as good as anything except the Allison in the GM's.

Do you need a diesel? I got one because I wanted one, not because I needed it. I do tow and haul a heavy load on occasion, but I could have got by with a 1/2 ton, but I've wanted a Cummins since they came out in the late 1980's. So far I've been happy with it.
Dodge, I think fall into your mindset. I don't need one. I do believe in the longevity of diesel over a gas engine. And I am a guy who buys things and holds onto them forever if reliable. I am anticipating towing things like Jetski+trailer and possibly RVs later, so I do want to prepare myself for contingencies later on.

But Im glad to see you posted with same mindset. Most of my mileage won't be towing but I believe in the long term and love diesel tech.