View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 08:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:338
TransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by storeboy View Post
... What are your thoughts on the Transgo shift kits for the 4th gen Rams 545RFE transmission? I have read alot of these being put into the 3rd gen Rams with good results, but I have not seen anything for the 4th gen rams. Did the 545RFE change so that these don't work on this version of the transmission or has something been updated in the transmission where people are just not needing them anymore?
Storeboy,

I'm not familiar with the details of the TransGo shift kits for RFE transmissions, so I can't really give you an informed opinion on them. Since the shifts are all solenoid-controlled, about the only things you could change (hardware-wise) in the main valve body assy are the clutch apply orifice sizes, and the accumulator spring rates. Not being a Controls expert, I'm not sure how those changes would interact / cooperate with the solenoid controls. But it sounds like the shift kits work for those who try them.

The RFE controls did not change significantly (between 3rd and 4th gen), so I'd expect the same kit should work for both. We did change the diameters of the Solenoid Switch Valve (SSV) in 2009 MY, but I doubt the TransGo kit affects the SSV at all. However, if the TransGo kit does include new SSV parts, then the 3rd gen kit will NOT work for 4th gen (2009+) trucks.

Note that there WAS a significant valve body change for 2011 MY. We removed the OD solenoid from the solenoid module, which required some related changes in the holes in the valve body separator plate (steel plate), and the removal of two of the check balls. So for 2011+ trucks, you'd want to confirm with TransGo whether their kit will work.

Sean,

Thanks for your kind words! I have no great aspirations to be Member of the Month, but maybe I can come up with a gallery picture for you....