Old 11-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Black/Gray
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
bdodge445 is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't use any of those ideas. They are band-aides and you will have rust showing again within months. LMC truck has patch panels for all of the areas you mention for $60-$90 a piece. If you are afraid of welding, most auto parts stores will have a panel bonding glue, 3M part number 8115, this stuff will rip the steel before the epoxy lets loose. Body filler is pourous and will absorb moisture and hold it unless it is sealed from the elements, not likely to happen if you're filling rust holes with it. You could use a short strand fiberglass filler and that would be a small step better. Also they make a product called chassis saver, about $50 a qt. Very hard, very durable stuff. if you can get to both sides of the steel and brush on that stuff completely covering all rust it will stop it from spreading at any speed. Like I said these are band-aides, likely to only last a few months before rust starts bubbling through again. The only cure is to cut out all rusty metal and replace with good steel. I own a body shop in northern MN, I've seen my fair share of rust repair.