View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen1dak View Post
And you once swore a 5.9 was a Big Block.
http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/dodg...smissions.html
Click the link for the whole write-up, or read here for the main point of the article on Dodge Ram 1994-2001:
"A transmission temperature control system was standard on Ram pickup with the 47RH transmission and optional with the 46RH. The electronic transmission control unit could shift to third gear and engage the converter clutch if transmission oil temperature reached its upper limit. A temperature sensor in the cooler line to the radiator provided the signal; it also controlled a warning lamp on the instrument panel which would light if the downshift didnít lower transmission fluid temperatures."
The option was whether it had a towing package, which was usually part of the 2500 and 3500 package, possibly a special order option on the 1500.

As for what "we" should recommend, I will make my own recommendations.
Well you don't have to be rude, we can work together you know. But yes I am the person who said a 5.9L is a big block, but what exactly defines a big block from a small block? Do you even know of how many different types of piston engine designs there are? But if you look at big block small block in terms of physical size a 5.9L Magnum block compared to the block in a honda civic, then it's a big block! Now compare the 5.9L magnum block to say 454 Chevy than it's a small block. What does block size matter anyways? You are one of those old timer "there is no replacement for displacement people" except for forced induction. Well hate to say it but there is a replacement for displacement, you can make a very small powerful engine, look at F1, now I understand those engines are operating at 16,000RPM however it's still around 2L and 800HP. Ok if you want to talk torque yea 357 ft-lbs but still a small displacement with some serious power.

But I don't want to argue or talk about engines much. I just want to help this guy, he has a 1995 I have a 1995, he has a 2500 I have a 2500, he has a 46RH, I have a 46RH. The ECMs are the same! The engines are the same! The transmissions are the same! The axles are probably the same! But in stock form, my van isn't stock form anymore. But all I am trying to tell this guy is not to worry about that one error code as it's a pretty useless code. Trailer tow option or not.