Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Yeah it won't hurt, I even had a discussion with transengineer and he confirmed this.

I almost always lock out 6th gear, even when not in T/H because as long as I'm not going over ~70mph my mpg stays the same, and I have so much more power without giving it a lot of pedal to downshift. I usually only use 6th over 70mph, like on looooong trips. And I normally will use T/H when in traffic as it'll hold the gears longer, but if I get on county roads or something I normally shut it off.
Sean, I wonder how much if any difference might be present in your scenario with the smaller engine? I've been somewhat amazed how firmly my tranny behind this hemi holds a gear when I'm towing. I'm coming from various GM trannies that were maddening in their behavior to hunt and peck for a proper gear almost no matter how much engine power you had. This Ram will hold gear in 5th with no T/H with my 5000+ pound travel trailer on anything but a decent grade. It has been so pleasant not having to constantly watch rpm and shifting like a hawk when even a meager over pass comes up while towing. I'm pretty anal about needless up and down shifting scenarios when towing...probably because of my GM experiences...so I'm just happy and amazed with the performance of this current setup. When empty, my Ram won't even hardly go out of top gear, 6th, until you really hit a steep grade...or a moderate grade with a stiff west Texas head wind. Sometimes this truck acts like it has a manual tranny when cruising empty or towing...LOL!