View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Yeah I'm not really exactly sure what your question is, or what you're getting at with me having the smaller engine. I agree though even with the less hp and tq that I have compared to the hemi my truck pulls GREAT. It will leave 6th gear usually going up moderate grades with say 1,000+ lbs at 70mph. But I am only at like ~1,750 rpm in 6th gear at 70mph. In tow/haul mode(5th gear as high gear) it rarely needs to leave 5th. I went to AR in july and hauled my bike and some other stuff up there, say ~1,500 to 2,000 lb in the truck and even through the big mountains on the way it didn't need to leave 6th but maybe once or twice the whole way, at about 75mph. I don't tow a lot, but 6th gear towing on hills is probably out of the question.

My trans shifts great and firm. I do have the SC tune though, with reduced shift time and reduced TM, so can't really say stock as I rarely have it tuned stock. I do know that the 4.7L tuning has slightly reduced line pressures and maybe some other things as I saw a tech article once that showed this(as compared to the hemi).

I believe line pressures and such are determine and adjusted on the go based on sensors and readings given to the pcm from the transmission so this is probably how the transmission adapts and shifts amazing under various loads.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.